[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: cookies and privacy

>From Paul Phillips:

> What percentage of the web-using population do you suppose has even the
> foggiest idea who DoubleClick is, and of those, how many accurately
> understand what it is that they did, and to what extent it poses a threat
> to their personal information? Vanishingly few.  This is not the sort of
> atmosphere where public opinion is an effective or just tool for deterring
> unethical behavior.

   Fortunately, we now have the beginnings of an understanding about how Web users
feel about data privacy issues.  GVU's 5th WWW User Survey, conducted April 10 -
May 10 1996, asked a series of preliminary questions on:  data privacy issues,
terms and conditions for collection of demographic information, knowledge of
what is loggable via HTTP requests, and falsification rates for online registration.
The results can be accessed via:

<URL:http://www.cc.gatech.edu/gvu/user_surveys/survey-04-1996/graphs/#privacy>

Regards,
Jim.